Thursday, June 24, 2010

Now That Summer's Here

Cape Cod Morning - Edward Hopper
Note: A line in this poem is taken from a postcard I have, "I like being alone.  At least I know who I'm with."


Summer's finally here,
and You and You and You...and You
have to remain in the past

But the problem with the past
is how the past problems the present
tripping it with thoughts and memories
 
For once, we would like to run with
the trees and people blurring past us,
without You snipping away at our focus
 
Please hold the promises to stay friends
and to call (or not, or not) and the
surprise visits to the doorstep
 
It's not that we like being alone (even if
being alone, we always know who we're with);
it's that being alone, we have little to lose
 
And with little to lose, there are no problems
with pain; we just have ourselves glowing
in the sun
 
 
Written: 6/20/10

No comments:

Post a Comment