
Note: I located this poem on a hard disk (remember those fortified floppy disks?). This was written in Creative Writing class during my senior year of high school.
Halloween
I wore my old costume from the year before
Though the hem had to be let down
My skin was cold in the pink satin
The cotton “fur” trim and silver glitter
Scraped against my arms as I wrapped them
Around myself waiting for the flash
I tried to position the silver pipe-cleaner tiara
My friend next to me smiles
Pale blue sweatpants out-of-place
Under the tan crepe shreds flimsily lifted in the wind
As her leis shift slightly our eyes blur briefly
We run off, my friend’s sister hopping after us
Dutifully we hold out our pumpkin buckets
Hoping for anything but an apple
It wasn’t until the sky trickled with black-purple
That we skimmed the corner back to her house
Our eyes meet another flash
This one red-orange-gold against brown leaves
I wonder who lit the match as I look over to
My friend who is crying
Written: circa Fall 2004
Photo: Tim Walker

No comments:
Post a Comment