Note: You'll see I experimented pretty radically when writing this poem, and part of it is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. I didn't quite master the new style or tone, but I was eager to try my hand at both.
The first line of this poem is inspired by another MTA "Train of Thought" series.
Here is the quote in full: "America was discovered accidentally by a great seaman who was looking for something else; when discovered it was not wanted; and most of the exploration for the next fifty years was done in the hope of getting through or around it. America was named after a man who discovered no part of the New World. History is like that, very chancy."
- Samuel Eliot Morrison (1887-1976), The Oxford History of the American People (1965), Ch. 2 "The European Discovery of America"
History is like that—very chancy
Very chancy, indeed
A single moment stays
in the cerebral cortex
Because memories are chancy, too
They either stay seared into the cerebrum
Or float out toward — unconscious — a place
That can (only?) be recalled through
Hypnosis // hypnobabble and
psychosis // psychobabble
Mind over matter, medulla oblongata
Train of thought, train of thought
Lead me on, lead me on
Help me find you—
—before you are lost
Cerebellum, power on, power on,
parietal
lobe
Hi, I’m nervous,
pons
looking still, lobe,
for
memory and
memories
Stored
Look for me, look
for
me
in the occipital
occupied
by thought
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment