Friday, August 6, 2010

Short Story: The Last (Part 5)

New York Office - Edward Hopper
Jillian fell silent again, stirring her fork in the half-consumed stew. She scurried the bits of basil and zucchini around in the silver pan.

“Yeah, I guess I see what you mean. I guess it does make sense. I just feel a little conflicted. I want to date just to experience it, to see what it’s like, but I don’t really want to give up my independence. I don’t want to depend on anyone, even a guy, just yet. But at the same time, I still feel a little alone."

"Now that one of my close friends just got engaged, another one’s getting married in a few months, another one is in a long-term relationship, and another one just started dating someone she met at grad school, I feel a little panic. At first it was me and another friend who didn’t have any prospects. But now, even she’s starting to get to know this guy, even though their relationship is a little complicated, but at least it’s something. At least it’s a potential prospect. A horizon. I, on the other hand, don’t have anyone to like or to look forward to or to get excited about.”

No comments:

Post a Comment