![]() |
| A Lady Writing - Johannes Vermeer |
In the meantime, I decided to do something different: prose writing. I started a few short stories in 2009 that I haven't finished. Recently, I decided to revisit them and I see potential. The thing is...I'm usually good at starting stories, just not so adept at ending them.
Starting today, from Monday to Friday, I will share my short stories in a series of posts. Some are pretty long and dialogue-heavy, so I will be breaking them down into several posts. Saturday will stay the same, where I share one of my favorite poems.
![]() |
| Compartment C Car - Edward Hopper |
Over dinner at a hummus restaurant, Jillian asked her friend Shana what the benefits were to dating. Shana was an Orthodox Jewish girl and had recently found love at a summer wedding. Abraham had sat down next to her at the dinner table, and before they were half-way through the roast lamb and mint mashed potatoes, they were out on the dance floor swinging between klezmer, hip hop, and salsa music.
They had barely scooped out the raspberries in their champagne or eaten the slices of passion fruit cake before they exchanged numbers and found out they lived in completely different boroughs.
“Well…” Shana pulled down her eyebrows and looked without looking at the plate of tomato stew on the small table cramped with Mediterranean food.
“All my friends would tell me that having someone was great because you would always have someone to do things with, to be with….but, in a city, especially here, when everyone’s running around all the time, you can feel alone. Having someone doesn’t mean that you’re not necessarily alone, but that you’re less isolated. It feels good to know that someone is there, there for you, and you feel less isolated that way.”
Written: 3/25/09



No comments:
Post a Comment