Planting ideas and flowering poems five days a week.
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Dr. Seuss: Happy Birthday to You!
Note: I stumbled across Dr. Seuss's book, "Happy Birthday to You!," recently at the Strand (where else?). Since it's my birthday today, I thought it was fitting to share a quote from the book at the exact time I was born (6 pm)!
"Today you are You, that is truer than true.There is no one alive whois Youer than You."
When I was 14, I wrote my first poem, a treacly one about friendship. In high school, I began writing poems after reading Jewel's "A Night in Armor," a book that allowed me to fall in love with free verse. Once I entered college, A.R. Ammons's "Glare," an opus using beautiful, winding language, completely changed the way I thought about poetry. And I've played with words ever since.
No comments:
Post a Comment