Friday, May 21, 2010

Vintage Sherry: The Woman on Prospect Avenue

August in the City - Edward Hopper
An old woman lives on Prospect Avenue
She lives alone in a house for five

One time my dad and I stopped
At the traffic light by her home

She was mowing the grass by herself
A short, curly white-haired woman
In a floral pink-and-blue dress
Meant for shapeless old women

Her frame and age weren’t meant
To be bent over a mower
Slowly pushing it across high grass

My dad said to me
“It’s so sad to see a woman so old
Mowing the grass.”

I didn’t think much of it
Until recently when I saw high grass
Outside her home

From the car I looked into her window
I saw the shadow of her body
A silhouette
Against a dusty orange lamp light

She was on the stairs going up
Probably ready for bed
I could see the frame of the
Amorphous dress made for women her age
The lights went out

I thought about how tired she was
The strength lacking to push a mower

She must have been very lonely


Written: 7/24/00

No comments:

Post a Comment